Villa Romenthal of Count von Schaumburg. 1901. Diessen am Ammersee, Germany. Lake view

Villa Romenthal, east side view


The stately historic villa is located in the "Pfaffenwinkel," one of the most beautiful areas of Bavaria, a few kilometers south-west of the Bavarian capital Munich. Munich downtown can be reached in 45 minutes by car.

The Villa is set peacefully in a 8.535 m² (92.000 sq ft) park landscape on a slight slope on the outskirts of Diessen, with beautiful views over the lake "Ammersee" from every floor. The property borders an ample landscape conservation area and the Rococo chapel "St. Anna" from Johann Michael Fischer (1692—1766), constructor of the distinctive Marienmünster church in Diessen. All shopping opportunities, physicians, nurseries, and schools are within walking distance.

The area is surrounded by the beautiful rolling hills landscape of the alpine upland. Many lakes, historically intact architecture, and a wide variety of cultural offers contribute to the magnificent quality of life. The lake "Ammersee" offers natural beaches and sailing clubs, only 5 minutes from the Villa.

The Villa

The monument-protected villa was built in 1901 by Count and Countess von Schaumburg as a manor-house to the neighbouring agricultural Romenthal Estate. It was completely restored in 1996/1997 with great attention to original detail. The new modern building technology goes far beyond the usual modern standard.

15 rooms of up to 100 m² (1.075 sq ft), 3 kitchens, 3 bathrooms, and 5 toilets allow noble and flexible usage (for living and/or office). The layout is spacious, with exceptional room heights of 3.70 m (12 ft). Four floors and two large staircases, each with its own entrance (originally for counts and personnel), allow partitioning in up to four independent units. Unspoilt view of the lake can be enjoyed from all four floors, from the stately glass house in the Belle Etage, the spacious roof terrace, and from two balconies. A separate garage building with five individual large spots comes with developable storage space above the building. The park also contains a historic timber house with two floors (unrestored).

An Energy Performance Certificate from 2007 attests the extremely low energy consumption due to the massive walls and additional prime insulation.

Key Data

Year of construction: 1901. Park: 8.535 m² (92.000 sq ft). Living/office space: approx. 700 m² (7.500 sq ft).

Christoph Seifert, Dießen am Ammersee, Germany, Deutschland